Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Changes

 It's been a rough tossing and turning couple of nights for Succotash, with lots of nursing and waking up saying "Mama!" and "Help!" and last night a couple of "noo noo!" Which make me worry that you have had bad dreams. Though in the morning all seems right with the world. Clearly a lot of language synapses are firing all at once, but then, maybe something else too.

This morning you climbed down from the bed where you were reading books with your dad while I went to the bathroom. You came over to the toilet enclosure and said "Potty. I sit." You started to sit on the floor and added "Poop."

"Would you like to sit on the toilet?" I asked. You nodded.

So we took off your jammies and your wet overnight diaper and put your potty seat on the toilet. Then we got comfortable and read "Where's the Elephant?" and asked dad to bring your favorite lift the flaps Easter book, and we spent a long time lifting flaps and saying "hop!" and "egg!" and "carrot!" 

You peed a little. Grinned, and said "pee!" We agreed this was amazing and then went back to our Easter book.

And then, lo and behold!

"Tinkle tinkle toot!" I said, which is what happens in one of your potty books, and which always made you crack up. Your whole face lit up. I told you I was proud of you, and then you reached back and flushed!

WHOA!

I sent you to school in a diaper, but with some training pants packed just in case. I'm curious how it's going at school today.

My big smart growing boy.

Also, for posterity, in case I didn't write it down yet, I will also note that the other day you were reading The Snowy Day, pointed at a traffic light, and said "Car. Stop."

I have told your Aunt J that in light of these two developments I am preparing your application materials for Stanford. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. Please only comment if you are real person, with a good heart.