Monday, December 23, 2019

Eleven Weeks Eve

All the grandparents are in town, and tomorrow your uncle the Ward arrives, and then you first Christmas will begin in earnest. Last night we did the first Hannukah candle, and you were fussy because it was your bedtime, so I got a picture of your dad beaming while you squirm in his arms like a fish.

You are asleep, and I am tired, and watching National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, which I enjoyed in high school, and which funnily enough is making me reflect on how lovely the Griswold marriage is as represented in this film. Clark sets his expectation sky high, and Ellen, despite knowing it's going to happen, seeing it about to happen, waits to pick up the pieces anyway.

Your father and I agree. You are the most wonderful and amazing baby who has ever lived. Tonight, as I was holding you in Nana's chair with the lights of the avenue below us, I whispered to you that I loved you more than anyone in the whole wide world, and that I would always love you, no matter what mistakes you make, or what you do, or what you say, and even when you are grown up and have a family of your own, some part of you will always be my little baby who I love more than anything or anyone in the whole wide world.

Then I started to cry, of course, and you yawned your tiny baby yawn, and that is how things stand on the eve of your eleventh week of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. Please only comment if you are real person, with a good heart.