Saturday, December 28, 2019

A Quiet Day

Today is the last day that all four grandparents are in town, and your dad has planned to make a video for you, for your eighteenth or perhaps twenty first birthday. Right now you are awake from your morning nap and Manamana is playing with you while you are in your bouncy chair. You are smiling at her, and I don't think I have ever seen someone so happy. Do I mean you, or do I mean my mother in law? Maybe both.

We all agree that you seem to have grown visibly overnight. Your hair is getting thicker, and your eyelashes are long pale brown fringes. You fell asleep on my chest at seven last night, an hour earlier than usual, and I think it was because you are growing, but also because you - like me - get tired out by too much socializing. You have had days on end of grandparents and friends, and you were warm and personable to the last. But tired.

When you are excited you waggle your arms and kick your feet all at once, and you say OOOO and WOO and HOOO! You sometimes drop your wubanub because you are smiling around it. For Christmas you were given many board books and from our friend Claire in the UK some darling clothes including a Harry Potter onesie complete with cape. I have to write some thank you notes for you - I'll try to do that today. You love your giraffe wubanub and your weird secondhand fat stuffed zebra (we call him Clarence) and this tall giraffe who looks over your baby pouf, and you get super excited if I sing Old Macdonald to you with your stuffed animals for illustration.

You loved looking at the candles we lit for Hannukah, and you enjoyed watching me open holiday cards and put them up on the mantle.

We just sang You are my Sunshine for you and I did my best to harmonize. Your dad and you and I am Milo dog and Uncle Eli all have matching red plaid jammies, but we haven't been organized about wearing them, so you are in your soft camel jammies today while dad and I are in red plaid flannel.

And that is how things stand today, after your first Christmas and Hannukah, and a few days before your three month birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. Please only comment if you are real person, with a good heart.