Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Pressing the Coffee

I had just gotten back from walking the dog and giving him some fresh kibble and I was pressing the coffee when the phone rang, and it was a 212 number from an official-looking place.

It was NYU, calling with our NIPT results.

They said that Succotash was at a "minimal," i.e. 1 in 10,000 risk for chromosomal abnormalities, and that they had information on the sex if I wanted it. Did I want it?

"Yes please," I said, still pressing the coffee.

"You ready?" said Olga, the nurse on the other end of the line.

"Yes," I said.

"It's a baby.... boy."

"Oh. Oh my gosh," I said, and I immediately started to cry. I think she congratulated me, and I know I thanked her for calling, and then we hung up and I was done pressing the coffee and I had to call L immediately and tell him that not only are we having a baby who is healthy, but he's a boy, and he's going to be a real person, out in the world.

This is really happening.

You. You are really happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. Please only comment if you are real person, with a good heart.