Tuesday, August 6, 2024

Swimmer!

Yesterday at the yacht club pool you climbed up onto the diving board without any floaties on and jumped in! I was treading water waiting for you down below, and the moment you disappeared under the water was, not gonna lie, terrifying. ("No really for real for real, I'm not lying, for real" as you sometimes say). But up you paddled, breaking the surface with a huge grin, and half swum, half climbed onto me as we paddled our way to the side of the deep end. 

"Mama, did I make a big splash?" you asked. Yes, my Succotash, the biggest! Your first real cannonball. You really are a big kid. How did that happen?

Then you held the side and "monkey walked" all the way around the edge of the pool back to the stairs. You spent the rest of the afternoon climbing out of the pool and jumping back in, climbing out and jumping back in, until you were so exhausted that you almost fell asleep in the car on the way home. 

"I need more relaxing time!" you wailed when we pulled up at the house. But we made it home, and you played in the shower while I warmed up leftovers for burritos, and we had a nice dinner with Grandpa before going upstairs to finish The Muppet Movie.

"Sparkling muscatel," you quote to me. "One of the finest wines of Idaho."

You have taken to claiming that you passed your swim test. I'm not sure if this is a literal thing that happened at day camp, or a reference to a plot point in "Jabari Jumps," about a boy who decides he is ready to jump off the diving board.  

This is your last week at Devereaux day camp, which I think has been largely a success. Next week, another set of half days of the Peewee program at Gatchells Playground, and then we have a week of Appleton Farm Camp. And then friends some to stay, and then it's back to school. Change is in the air. But summer isn't over yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. Please only comment if you are real person, with a good heart.