Friday, September 29, 2023

I haven't met any sons today.

This is a new game you like to play. You will all of a sudden transform into someone else.

"I haven't met any sons today," you inform me. 

"You haven't?" I say.

"Yes. Do you have a son? I'm just a knight/pirate/space ranger/harpooner. I haven't met your son."

"Oh that's too bad," I say. "He's so cool. I think you'd really like him."

"Was he here just a minute ago?" you ask, all concerned.

"I thought so," I say. "I hope he comes back soon. He's so great. He's tall, and handsome, and funny, and a good friend, and his name is Charles."

Often the game will then continue with your alter ego evincing confusion about something Charles knows really well. "I don't know what a restaurant is, I'm just a knight," you explain. "I'm from the olden times."

"Oh I see," I say. "Well, a restaurant is a place where we go a a neighbor makes food for us. My son Charles really likes this restaurant."

Sometimes your alter ego will transform into another alter ego before Charles comes back.

"He's got your imagination and my ability to free-associate," your dad remarked to me the other night.

Other recent innovations:

"Behold!" you said, presenting me a book to read at bedtime with a flourish.

And the other night, when we were talking about a particular book we might want to read, you put on your best Fred Savage in The Princess Bride expression and said "Are you trying to trick me?"

And your dad cracked up and added "Is this a kissing book?"

We think it was your first conversational movie reference. If my son had been here, he would have loved it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. Please only comment if you are real person, with a good heart.