Monday, September 28, 2020

Almost One

You and your six chins walked almost happily into Montessori today, and smiled and waved at me when I said my special goodbye ("quack quack quack I'll be right back"), and now I am around the corner trying to work and looking at pictures of you first. 

You are now able to: clap, climb the stairs spotted but unassisted, eat an apple or a pear, crawl around in the bed (uh oh), say "Momo" when you see the dog. You play next to a baby at Montessori and it is charming. Yesterday we had a babyfriend over and you had what I think was your first introvert meltdown. You are obssessed with the construction details on the top of your play teepee, in which we plan soon to place a toddler mattress to turn into a secret bed for you. I will miss sleeping with you, as you are warm and snuggly. I will probably be lax about you sneaking into our bed when you have a bad dream. I am soft. 

I am in the process of applying to 2s programs for you in New York for next year, which seems impossibly far off. We have applied early decision for you to another Montessori that is walking distance from our apartment. I am imagining a world where you and I stroll down in the morning, you play all day while I write nearby, and then we stop in Madison Square Park to play on our way home, or go up to meet your dad for early dinner. I imagine a world with a COVID vaccine and Joe Biden as president, and that your babyhood in quarantine will one day be a matter for family lore and nothing else, and not the new eternity. 

You are better at keeping your sneakers on. You like the baby swings, especially when I stop you at the top of your swing arc to bring you in for a kiss. I love kissing your baby cheeks. I see them and say "May I have a smooch?" and then I shower you with kisses. 

It's warm today, but the leaves are changing colors. Fall in New England. 

I have to plan the world's smallest socially distant first birthday party for you. I think we will serve carrot cupcakes and get you a balloon. 

I can't believe it's almost been a year. I feel like you just got here, and like I have always known you. My Succotash wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. Please only comment if you are real person, with a good heart.